That said, here is the last couple of months, the good, the bad and the ugly, in a nutshell:
1. We considered getting some Guinea Fowl but acquired 4 Silkies instead (much to Kurt's chagrin…..) If you don't know what a Silkie is, click here.
2. Stripsies (a seven week old kitten) entered our lives…..(again, sorry Kurt! But how could you resist that tiny ball of fluffy love?!?!)
|This is before he met the Solomonster…..now I am pretty sure he sleeps with one eye open.|
3. Stripsies fell off the second story loft to the first floor. (He landed on his feet…..one life down, eight to go!)
4. We discovered that one of our Silkies, who was still living upstairs in the guest bathroom, was clearly a Rooster. Now what?!
|Lily is determined that the Roo stays because: "But Mom! He's part of the herd!" Close enough.|
5. Leroy got mauled by a raccoon. (We think.) Emergency surgery, a ridiculous amount of stitches, two drain tubes and $500 later, (and many days of finger crossings since he refused his medications), he
6. Kurt and the boys were in a head-on collision with an intoxicated driver. My 5000 pound SUV was totaled but they all walked away with minimal bruises. (Oh and some traumatic stress…..and perhaps a wee bit of whiplash.) We love our Toyota! Ten years of loyal service and one, huge life-saving moment. Totally worth every cent we spent on that truck!
7. Our basement got flooded by an unruly toilet upstairs…..but on the bright side, we learned we own a lot of towels.
8. We tried to move the Silkies into the coop with the chickens and discovered that chickens can be fairly vicious. (The Silkies then took up residence with the bunny in his outdoor mansion……he's not too thrilled but we are pretty sure he will get over it.)
|Don't let their apparent peaceful obliviousness fool you! They are monsters I tell you! (Not really…. unless you are a Silkie!)|
10. The tiniest of the Silkies got slaughtered by a raccoon who apparently tried to pull it (unsuccessfully) through the cage wires…..don't worry, I didn't take any pictures…..but the other Silkies and the Bunny have not been the same since!
11. After Fluffy's demise, we stuck the Silkies in with the other chickens. So far, they are all still okay (although Fuzzy, the last remaining, tiny, gray chicken is more or less attached to his/her black body guards…..)
12. Solomon claimed one of the Silkies as his own, and named him Superman.
14. I learned that you really oughtn't put a 10 pound bag of bird seed in the passenger seat of your BRAND NEW SUV and then drive like you always do…….lesson learned.
We are off to Sun-struck-crazyville, I mean, Florida next week so I will update as I can.
Have a great day/week/month.